Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 12

As it turned out, Vern had not hit the steenbok..........he had shot over it with Dirk’s shotgun, that he had not shot before. Last night, after dinner, we went out with a spot light and Vern got a nice steenbok, 4 1/2” horns with his own 270. (4” is average.) Night time hunting is only allowed for certain animals. It was very interesting. We saw one of those kangaroo rabbits. They are the funniest looking things. Dirk let Jackie go, and he kept the spotlight on him. It took Jackie (the dog) about 10 seconds to catch up to the rabbit and made quick business of him.....I could not believe my eyes.


Today I got a lot of reading done and Vern sat at another water hole. Lots of wart hogs came in, but the papa stayed away - again. We thought the wart hog would be one of the easiest animals to get, but it hasn’t been that way for Vern. The grass is very tall, because they got a lot more rain than usual, and that's reason for the difficulty of getting a wart hog. Also the Duiker is rather small and can hide in the tall grass as well. Tonight at dusk we did the calling thing, but he never came out.


The weather has been so beautiful. We feel so fortunate..........every day we wake up to a beautiful day and watch a beautiful sunset in the evening and we're amazed and thankful!


Our sleeping quarters are a tent, but it's almost like a hotel room - regular door, bathroom attached with tub and shower and even hot water. However we can hear everything outside because we just have tent screen windows. The other night, I stayed up reading a little later and heard a strange noise. I heard it twice. I reached over to wake Vern, but then it stopped so I let it go. The next morning Dirk asked if I heard the noise. He knew I was going to read a while. He told me it was leopard!! Thankfully it was a ways away, but we've seen lots of tracks, so we know he's around.


Uploading pictures is taking forever. Like Dirks say, "It's like watching grass grow!" I'm not sure when I can try again.


Diane, thanks for posting a note from Abe. No doubt he'd love being here!!


To be continued.............

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting so often mom, it is really great to keep hearing from you with or without pictures. Right now Lillye is outside playing, we had a beautiful day today and it got up in the 80s, and I am inside catching up on emails and getting dinner ready. Jay went to the club to hit a few ball after work so he should be home soon. He is starting to get nervous because I shot a 47 this morning, birdied one hole and pared two. Now if I could just be a little more consistent I would say watch out Jay. :-)

    We are doing a Wine Dinner this Saturday that we auctioned off at the HDR fundraiser. It should be a good time. Jason and Quentin are coming to help and hopefully all the food will turn out great.

    Tonight Jay and I are going over to Clemintine's for a Rose Party Downtown Wine & Gourmet is hosting. Should be fun. People drinking Rose and listening to dj music in the back round.

    The next two weeks are going to be pretty crazy we almost have something going on every night. But they are fun things so it should be okay.

    Well I need to take a shower before Jay gets home. Keep having a great time and soak in those sunsets.
    Lots of Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's great to hear from you with or without pictures! I can't believe you heard a leopard outside your tent one night - wow. I'm sure you have so many more stories.

    We had a summer-like day today too, in the mid-80's - I think it was a record breaker. It was almost too hot. We went to the park beside the library which doesn't have much shade and Henry was soon ready to go inside the library. Tomorrow a cold front is supposed to come through along with thunderstorms, and then much cooler over the weekend. Doug has off this weekend and has been DYING to go camping, and I don't think there's any way I'm going to talk him out of it even though it's going to be cold (highs in the mid-50's and lows in the 30's!). We'll have to have lots of big fires!

    Keep the posts coming! Any luck with the warthog today?

    Love,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete