Friday, April 9, 2010

Blesbok & Kudu

The adventures continue........... First, thank you for the comments and Tim, for the advice. Marilyn, you can always go to safarisnamibia.com, which is Dirk's website. Look at the pictures and imagine Vern as the hunter, sitting behind the animal. We will post pics as soon as we can. Believe me, we have a ton of them.

Yesterday we had two adventures with a puff hadder snake. We're glad to tell you that both snakes are dead and no one was hurt.

Last evening Vern got a nice Blesbok, shot at about 120 yards.

Today was the most amazing hunt & shoot of all. Vern got a very nice Kudu, which he shot at 323 yards right in the neck, but it is such a tough animal it did not go down. Vern shot two more times at about 350 and then 375 yards. He hit him all three times...........and finally success! The hike to find him was miserable. In fact we could not get him out. The trackers, along with neighboring help are getting him right now. We're done for the day.......nice time to rest a bit, and journal.

Thanks Alice for telliing J and you may be right...........we may get to be tourists. This is the most different vacation, for me, ever, but I'm really having a great time.

Love to all. Shirley

3 comments:

  1. Lets see if i count rite that is 5 animals total.
    Way to go "OH GREAT HUNTER" (Vern)

    Keith tells me he has not seen Jerry around at least when he has been there.

    Last nite the EMHS choir was at our church...good program. We kept 4 girls one of them being Velma's daug... Kaitlin. Jim and Rachel were at the program, surprise, surprise.

    It is cool and damp here today, want to finish my windows and work in my flower beds. Glad to hear you are having a good time.....niether of you are coming home alone (not yet anyway) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - so good to hear from you. I finally had the presence of mind to check your blog today, I had just assumed that you would email us first. Amanda and I decided that this is good for us, having you gone for a little bit, because we're actually catching up with each other directly instead of through you! We talked and decided that no news was good news from you guys, but still it's nice to hear that you made it. This evening, when I still hadn't heard anything, I was seriously considering trying to email Dirk, I was having visions of you being held hostage in Frankfurt or something! Glad to hear that you're having a good time. I can't believe how many trophies Dad has already - wow, he must be having the time of his life. I can't wait to hear all of your stories and adventures.

    Henry and Reuben are doing great (both just woke up from a long nap). Reuben has discovered his voice and "talks" to us all the time, it is so funny. He's cutting his second top tooth and you can see the first one now when he smiles. Henry is wearing his OSU jersey and pants right now (you know why), and told me me, "Mama, it makes me so HAPPY when I get to wear my Buckeye clothes!" I think he's also feeling happy because of the REASON he gets to wear his Buckeye clothes! Ha!

    We're enjoying a cool but sunny evening here. We miss you and love you!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mom & Dad,

    Glad to hear you guys are alive and doing well. I too was picturing some kind of hostage situation...Oh my imagination can get away with me sometimes. Norma called to tell me she dropped off the maple syrup and said isn't it great how your dad has killed all those trophies? I was like what???? I signed up to follow you on this blog thinking it would email me when you blogged but it didn't. Then Heidi left me a message too to check the blog. Now I know all is well and you guys are having a great time.

    Tell Dad congrats on all the kills! Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time! I am so glad.

    Things are good here in Harrisonburg. We had a great night at the wine shop. We went out to dinner with Dawn & Jim at Cally's and had a great time. Dawn & I talked about her up coming Graduation and the guys watched the Masters on TV. Even Lillye was letting us know if the ball went in the hole. Did I tell you I am doing all of the food for Dawn's party. That should keep me busy, but I love doing it, so I am sure it will be fun.

    Right now I am also working on another Wine Dinner for next Saturday. We are finally doing one of the ones we auctioned off at the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance Auction. So that will keep me busy this week, getting the house ready, shopping for all the food and cooking all day Friday.

    Well, Lillye and I talk often of you guys in Africa and I can't wait to read her your blog. Miss talking you guys! Soak it all in because it will be over before you know it.
    Lots of Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete